Some think that every wheelchair is the same. While the basic mechanical design may be similar, wheelchairs differ from one another in a variety of ways, including how much they weigh, how they feel, and how they respond. And, like the mobility devices themselves, the individual needs of the handicapped or injured may differ based on age, body type, gender, and disability.
Your mobility needs are unique and, as such, you should make sure to consider the following when selecting a wheelchair to get one that suits your specific needs:
- If you plan on traveling with your wheelchair, be sure to consider physical dimensions like height, width, and weight.
- Depending on where you will be using your wheelchair and who will be assisting you, consider push handle height and wheel design.
- If you’re going to be using the wheelchair for an extended amount of time, be sure that the material, design, and functionality of the device are all extremely comfortable.
- Depending on your injury or disability, you may wish to live a more active lifestyle. If this is the case, look for a wheelchair that is both lightweight and durable.
In addition to these considerations, it’s important to ask yourself the following questions before speaking with a professional mobility expert in order to get a true understanding of your needs:
- Where will I use my wheelchair most?
- How will I transport my wheelchair?
- How much of my day will be spent in my wheelchair?
- How will I transfer from the wheelchair to other mobility devices, such as stair lifts or bath lifts?
- How long will I require a wheelchair and what specific disability needs do I require?
Whatever your immediate short-term or long-term mobility needs, Williams Lift Company can help. From wheelchairs and walkers to stair lifts and ramps, we offer a number of mobility aids to ensure you live safely and comfortably. To learn more about our products, visit our website or call (908) 756-7074!