Last Updated on March 20, 2022
There are many different types of riser and power recliner sizes, fabrics, and pressure-relieving cushions available to purchase. However, the most important thing when considering riser recliners is the comfort of the recliner—which makes knowing how to measure a recliner exceedingly important. If you’re wondering about recliner chair dimensions and how to make the right choice, read on to learn how to read recliner dimensions and which measurements for a recliner chair are important.
How to Measure a Recliner: What to Know Before Measuring
There isn’t much prep needed when it comes to measuring a recliner. You will need a tape measure — preferably the stiff types that measure in inches. Recliner dimensions are almost exclusively measured in inches.
A fabric tape measure is not recommended because it can give a wildly different measurement because it bends around the body. If a fabric tape measure must be used, make sure it stays taut around the person’s body.
There is one thing to remember if you’re wondering, “What size recliner do I need?” Keep in mind that you fit a person to a chair for comfort—not trying to fit a piece of furniture in a room. The recliner chair measurements most matter when the person’s comfort is kept in mind.
How to Measure a Recliner: Measurements Needed
When it comes to how to measure for a riser recliner chair, there are five measurements you need to ensure the chair is an accurate fit. They are:
- Seat height. This is one of the most important measurements. To measure it, align the tape between the top of the seat and the floor. If the seat height is too high, slouching can occur. If it is too low, it can disrupt circulation.
- Seat depth. Measure from the front of the seat cushion to the chair’s backrest for seat depth. The seat should be deep enough to be comfortable, but not too deep, as it can cause pressure on the back.
- Seat width. Measure from the inside of one armrest to another. There should be a ¾-inch gap between the sides of the chair and the buttocks to sit comfortably.
- Armrest height. To measure armrest height, measure from the top of the seat cushion to the top of the armrest. If an armrest is too high, it can cause shoulder pain.
- Back height. The backrest is one of the most important measurements. Measure from the back edge of the seat cushion to the top of the backrest. It must be tall enough to support the person’s head. The head should not droop.
Now that you know how to measure for a recliner chair, write down your measurements and findings so that you can find the riser recliner that’s best for you.
How to Measure a Recliner: Need-to-Know Information
There are some other things you should know about how to measure a recliner. For example, many people think that feet shouldn’t touch the floor in a riser recliner, but it’s actually the complete opposite. The feet should always touch the floor so that the person is supported. This may be a challenge for older, petite patients, but the feet should always touch the floor.
People often wonder if the chair is used for sleeping if the measurements should change. Size doesn’t need to change if the person is sleeping in the chair. However, if they want to place a duvet or cover over the chair, this does matter when you’re measuring.
To learn more about how to measure a recliner, or information about mobility products that can be life-changing, such as wheelchair ramps or stairlifts, contact Williams Lift. Co. today. We want both patients and their caregivers to live their best lives possible.