Last Updated on September 20, 2021
One of the biggest hurdles when it comes to aging in place is tackling the stairs daily. A fall can easily break a hip or other bone for those aging with fragile bones. One of the best mobility aids for aging individuals, or those with balance problems, is a stairlift.
However, caregivers and patients worry about the cost of a stairlift, and you may be wondering, “how long do stairlift batteries last?” A battery for a chair lift is an integral part of the unit, so this is a great question. Read on to learn more about how long stairlift batteries last and more about stairlifts in general.
How Long Do Stairlift Batteries Last? The Cost of Stairlift Batteries
When it comes to stairlifts, one of the biggest concerns for those aging in place and their caregivers is the cost. Past the initial installation and purchase, there will be associated maintenance costs for a chair lift battery replacement.
However, you can purchase a battery from an outside supplier, or purchase one directly, too.
How Long Do Stairlift Batteries Last? Stairlift Battery Replacement
The big question is, how long do stairlift batteries last? You will likely have to perform a battery replacement every three years. Considering that batteries are reasonably affordable, with tax and costs, this averages out to an approximation of $23 per year in order to maintain your stairlift. If your biggest concern is, how long do stairlift batteries last?, you can rest easy knowing that they have a relatively long life. If they have very little usage, they may even last up to five years.
How Long Do Stairlift Batteries Last? More About Stairlifts
Your other concern may be if a stairlift is the best choice for you or you may be wondering about the benefits of stairlifts in general. Some of the benefits that come with the installation of a stairlift include:
- Freedom and mobility. Individuals aging in place may be wary even to take the stairs for fear of an accident. A stairlift gives you complete access to the home, without fear.
- You can customize stairlifts. If you have a staircase that’s unusual, don’t worry. You can install stairlifts for straight staircases and curved ones, and outdoor stairs as well.
- Ease of use. Stairlifts are easy to use and are comfortable to sit in, and there are no complicated instructions.
- Stairlifts are safe. These mobility aids are very safe to use, have robust safety features, and can prevent accidents on the staircase.
When it comes to stairlifts specifically, there are many safety features, such as:
- The stairlift will not work unless the seat is in the correct position.
- Stairlifts are pressure-sensitive and will not operate if there is an obstruction in the stairwell.
- These stairlifts have a limit sensor that ensures that the stairlift always stops in the correct position.
- Stairlifts have a mechanical electronic brake system that prevents accidental descent.
The most popular model is the Superglide 120, which has a 284-pound weight capacity. It also features a headrest and seat that you can fold when the stairlift is not in use. There is a joystick, and remote control included with the stairlift so it’s easy for anyone to operate. Companies warn their customers that while stairlifts are easy to install, you should have a professional installation so as not to void your warranty.
We hope we answered the question, how long do stairlift batteries last? If you are interested in a stairlift, or want information about other life-changing mobility aids, such as wheelchair ramps or power recliners, contact us at Williams Lift Co. today. We want both patients and caregivers to live their best lives possible.